About Zaccho Dance Theatre
Founded in 1980, Zaccho Dance Theatre creates and presents performance work that investigates dance as it relates to place. Artistic Director and choreographer Joanna Haigood’s creative work focuses on making dances that use natural, architectural, and cultural environments as points of departure for movement exploration and narrative, often addressing social justice themes about the African American experience. Haigood’s innovative work involves in-depth research into the history and character of sites, often incorporating local communities in the creative process, and typically integrates aerial flight and suspension to expand performers’ spatial and dynamic range. As artists, educators, and performers, we explore new boundaries in dance and performance to inspire, educate, and serve our communities.
In addition to performing locally, nationally, and internationally, Zaccho manages a vibrant training center and studio in the Bayview Hunters Point neighborhood of San Francisco where the company has resided since 1989. Zaccho also offers local youth dance and performance training through their award winning Youth Performing Arts Program (YPAP) and Zaccho Youth Company, a pre-professional youth aerial company.
We are currently accepting applications for a part-time (average 10 hours/week) contract Grant Writer @ $25-40/hour, depending on experience. Preference given to applicants with demonstrated work experience with social justice and dance and/or performing arts nonprofits. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
With support provided by the Zaccho Artistic Director and Managing Director, the Grant Writer’s primary responsibility is writing grant applications and funder reports to raise Zaccho’s annual budget from government, foundations, corporations, and other sources. This position reports to the Artistic Director and works offsite.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Prospect and Write Grant Applications
- Work with Zaccho development team to anticipate funding needs, review current funding sources, and identify new funding prospects
- Work to secure invitations to submit proposals when necessary and appropriate
- Work with Zaccho development team to gather data and narratives for proposals and reports
- Work with Zaccho development team to write narratives and prepare supplemental materials in accordance with grant parameters and guidelines
- Submit proposals and applications to funders in a timely manner
- Grant Reporting
- Work with Zaccho development team to submit reports to funders as required
- Attend weekly teleconference meeting with Zaccho development team
- Demonstrated experience writing grants and LOIs, submitting grant reports
- Minimum 3 years experience working with nonprofits in a development role, strong preference given to experience with social justice and dance and/or performing arts nonprofits
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice causes
- Strong writing and research skills
- Strong time management, communication, and multitasking skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability within a collaborative team environment
- Flexibility to pursue various funding opportunities, often several at once
- Experience with Adobe Acrobat, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Google Docs
- Must be able to work on collaborative document files on Google Drive cloud system
Flexible hours, mainly remote (some studio time may be required after the San Francisco shelter-in-place order is lifted); must provide own computer and/or laptop.
Reasonable accommodations are available to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
To apply, please send resume, cover letter, and writing sample to:
email@example.com with “Grant Writer” in subject line
Applications accepted until September 1, 2020