Zaccho Dance Theatre is currently accepting applications for a three-quarter-time Associate Director for the Youth Performing Arts Program (YPAP). This will be a non-exempt employee position for up to 30 hours per week at $30-$40 per hour, depending on experience, and eligible for health benefits, retirement benefits, and accrued Vacation and Paid Sick Leave. The YPAP Associate Director will report directly to Zaccho’s Artistic Director Joanna Haigood. BIPOC people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Our ideal candidate has professional-level experience with performance making, youth arts education, curriculum development, developing community partnerships, and art administration. Knowledge of aerial dance is also a plus. This position is an integral part of our tight-knit team that celebrates the artistic freedom of diverse youth through arts practices, community-minded programming, and the creation of powerful stories that impact children and BIPOC communities. They will be a forward thinker who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions as well as the ability to support and mentor young teaching artists. Above all, this person will possess a drive and passion for developing imagination in the youth and community and for the craft of performance creation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintaining and initiating partnerships and relationships with public, private, and community youth based schools and organizations
- Supporting Zaccho Artistic Director in curriculum design, development, and implementation
- Supervising YPAP teaching artists with curriculum implementation
- Participating in hiring YPAP teaching artists along with hiring team; teaching YPAP program classes as needed
- Collaborating with YPAP production manager and collaborating artists towards the creation of the annual professional-level youth performance
- Representing YPAP at community and citywide events, which could involve tabling; outreaching to new partners and youth base
- Creating a newsletter for the YPAP program with updates on activities; communicating with Zaccho’s marketing team to advertise YPAP events
- Designing and implementing a new youth technical theater apprenticeship program with a team of collaborators
- Working with primary designers or production staff for sound and light apprenticeship towards a final YPAP production
- Partnering with the Zaccho Development Team on data reporting; conducting evaluations of the YPAP program with youth and community partners
- Being present at some grant and development meetings; meeting with funders periodically
- Supporting YPAP goals with other tasks as needed
- Participating in strategic planning and annual staff retreats
- Participating in monthly staff meetings (by videoconference)
- Strong desire to support Zaccho’s mission
- College Degree in Arts Education, Dance and/or Performance Arts, or 7 years work experience in youth arts, youth development education, and/or dance/movement arts with experience in arts administration
- At least 7 years teaching experience in dance/movement arts
- Experience writing program descriptions, study guides, and curriculum
- Experience engaging with multiple stakeholders and managing several projects simultaneously
- Experience in dance/movement arts production and creation
- Skilled collaborator in the art making process
- Knowledge of the Bayview Hunters Point community and/or a willingness to learn and preserve its cultural identity
- Understanding of the political and social climate of youth arts within the Bay Area, California, and nationally
- Ability to build clear and effective strategic practices to facilitate both project creative goals and logistics
- Experience with social media and email marketing
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Well organized with attention to detail
- Proficient with Microsoft Office programs, Google Suite, Zoom, social media platforms (Instagram, Facebook), and cloud-based record-management systems (Google Drive, Dropbox)
Some flexible hours, split time between the Zaccho Studio, partner sites, and working remotely. Occasional evening and weekend hours may be required for programming and production needs. Your own transportation is required for working between multiple locations.
With or without reasonable accommodation(s), the essential functions of this position require certain physical and mental abilities. These abilities include, but are not limited to: sitting, standing, climbing a ladder, walking, bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, lifting (up to 35 lbs.), typing, writing (in English), reading (English), speaking (English), seeing, hearing, basic mathematical calculations, problem solving, reasoning, composition, and decision-making.
To apply, please send your cover letter, resume, and a list of 3 references within the arts and arts education fields (names, position, relationship, and email address) to Afiya Williams, email@example.com, with the subject line "YPAP Associate Director"
Anticipated Start Date: June 1, 2023
Position open until filled
Position announced March 2023